Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rob Smoke's Response

1. As the City Budget tightens in response to the economic downturn, and in response to a projected long-term revenue gap, which programs and services should receive the highest priority?

I think the highest priority should be human services. I recently submitted a piece for the Daily Camera in which I listed the number one “hidden” agenda item for this year’s council election as “homelessness in Boulder”. It is just part of the entire spectrum of human service issues which have to be addressed if we are ever to have a strong, sustainable community. I was talking about this with someone today – and it is most definitely true that there has been, and may very well continue to be, restrictions on the amount that goes to helping the homeless because our leaders would like to cap the number of people who come here seeking those services. If they’re ‘too good’, more will come here from Denver in search of them. This actually may already occur to some extent; however, I think it’s wrong not to do all that we can. For one thing, people needing mental health support, who may be homeless, are not refuse. In progressive nations—in progressive communities—an effort is made to help in whatever way possible. It may be difficult to provide housing for homeless people, but we also need to consider that even a 300 sq. ft. studio apartment is vastly better for someone than being out in the cold in zero degree temperatures. So…in answer to the question, I support the wide spectrum of housing and human service programs, and some that barely exist if at all. I’ve campaigned and worked for this in various ways during my 23 years in Boulder.


2. The current City Council has identified as one of its priorities creating a welcoming, inclusive and safe community for all. How can our police department best support this vision?

I’ve been a steady advocate for a more conscious vision of policing; one that steers clear of harassment and abuse. As a broadcast journalist on our community station for many years, I frequently had police and sheriff’s department representatives on shows taking calls from the community and talking about these issues. I want to see respect for human rights given paramount importance. As an involved citizen and as a member of the City’s Human Relations Commission for five years I established relationships with our law enforcement community and I think we’ve made ‘some’ progress. When CU turned cameras and sprinklers on individuals attending a “4/20” event on the Boulder campus, I arranged for public scrutiny of this by inviting CU, the chancellor’s office and CU’s law enforcement representatives, together with our city law enforcement staff, to discuss a way out of this type of antagonistic and intolerant abuse for people rallying behind a political cause. This was briefly headline news in Boulder—in 2007, the sprinklers were finally turned off, as were the cameras. In 2009, the 4/20 event at CU went off peacefully and was acknowledged as one of the largest in the nation
.
Of course, all of this scratches the surface – we need a police force that acts responsibly in dealing with all members of the community and does not discriminate against members of minority communities in any way, shape or form. I would like to establish regular reporting on these issues, and a free exchange of information on these issues between community groups and our police department representatives. I see a fair share of problems with the status quo at the moment, and have discussed these issues at length with many individuals. I think there are many officers working in Boulder law enforcement who are pretty good; but it’s not a stretch to believe that we need to do a lot of work at changing the culture of law enforcement from one that is adversarial to one that is at all times helpful to the community. I think the groups that participate in Boulder Community United’s efforts are a key part of the strategy; the involvement of people in these issues day-to-day is very significant.

3. The City has made many fine efforts to solicit input from underrepresented communities, such as the “Meetings-in-a-Box” component of the last community survey. Participants often feel, however, that they do not know what happens as a result. How can the City do a better job of following up with those underrepresented communities on their input?

Hmm. I had some problems with the “meeting-in-a-box” I attended. I know I do want to see a conversion of our Channel 8 facilities from a “propaganda station” to one that has some media interactivity with residents and also addresses tough issues. I’ve made some efforts in this direction as a citizen; for instance, when I served on the HRC, I also served on an “oversight committee” involving CU, where alcohol abuse issues were being addressed. I brought in an MEF video on alcohol, campus violence and sexual abuse that later was put in the rotation on Channel 8; perhaps a small measure, but a direction worth pursuing in the future.

4. What is your position relative to the City’s diversity initiative and what more can or should the City do to support expanded leadership representation for underrepresented communities on Boards and Commissions and on City staff? Would you, for example, support a City Charter amendment to allow resident non-citizens to serve on Boards and Commissions?


Yes…I do support non-citizen representation; I asked that it be put on the ballot.
I also have gone out of my way to speak with opponents of that, and opponents of the anti-hate initiatives, and so forth. Ted Kennedy and several other significant political leaders of the past century, including Mahatma Gandhi, talk at some length about the need to acknowledge and hear one’s opposition; I’m a believer in that. The city attorney, or actually, two past city attorneys went over the issues raised by non-citizen participation with me. I think it’s possible that we can overcome the hurdles on this issue. As far as representation on city staff goes…that’s a toughie. The council doesn’t oversee department staffing decisions and works in a very restricted way with the city manager on staffing policy. I think it’s worth talking about in the public forum; I also think there are other avenues for developing leadership representation – I support the concept and ideas coming from the community to help facilitate it.
5. Mobile homes provide some of the most affordable housing in Boulder, but mobile home residents are quite vulnerable because landlords control pad rent and park management. What should the City's role be in preserving this form of housing and protecting mobile home residents?

I support the city’s present effort to effect some statewide legislation that will improve protection for mobile homes; I also support the city in creating bonding authority for purchase of mobile home parks, and perhaps getting a bonding initiative for that purpose on the ballot.

6. Many in the community feel that the contamination issue at Valmont Butte, a sacred Arapaho site and home to an historic settler’s cemetery, remains unresolved. How would you propose to address this issue?

The city has to stop trying to squeeze dollar value out of property that it may own with only the least ethical examination of what “ownership” signifies.

7. Would you consider ensuring access to recreational and sports activities for children and youth of all backgrounds a priority? If so, how would you accomplish this?

Yes; I’m not sure how to accomplish this in all circumstances; however, I’ll give a prime example of an issue that I’ve been working on that involves this. In point of fact, this is a key issue for me and something I think
exemplifies the problem:
Our reservoir, Boulder reservoir, has been more or less taken over by a cadre of motorized boat users. These people largely come from the wealthy community living outside of the city. The effect of having hundreds of motorized boat and jet ski users is that we’ve driven away those of lesser economic means who would be more likely to engage in quieter, less invasive activities such as kayaking, sailing, fishing, rowing, canoeing, and most importantly, swimming. As a result of the twisted paradigm, the city has given short shrift to support for less-costly, but more inclusive activities that would bring a more diverse group of recreationalists, including families who would just like a safe, quiet, clean environment enabling young swimmers and non-motorized boat users. I want to change the paradigm. I want the motorized users out; I want to restore the aquatic habitat for birds; improve the swim facility with a new beach and “swimmer’s” dock (one that let’s you dive into the deeper water without wading through muck) and I want to make the facility accessible to a much wider audience of people, in particular, families who do not participate in that high-priced culture of aquatic motorists. I want to ensure a precise turnaround that gives a much greater spectrum of participation for this facility; one where our resources are not devoted to the policing and maintenance of a fleet of expensive boats, but of support for simpler and more basic human activities that a much wider segment of our community can enjoy.



Thank you again for your time and thoughtful answers. We look forward to understanding you better.

Sincerely,
Boulder Community United